Monday, May 28, 2012

Home Birth vs Hospital Birth

When I found out I was pregnant with James I always thought you would have an OB and would birth in a hospital. Well, I was misinformed and had NO IDEA that there were midwives out there who would allow you to birth your baby at home.

Now don't get me wrong - my OB's (yes plural - I saw many) were all great. But they didn't really give you the time of day unless you were high risk. James`delivering doctor was also great. She was very supportive of a natural birth but again - once he was born I was left to the nurses - now they were a different story.

This time around, I ditched the OB and went with a midwifery practice and I must say - things are SO MUCH BETTER! Not only do these women listen to you, but they actually want to be there for you. We have some of the same beliefs about birth and that was one big thing for me.

My whole outlook on birth changed after James. I can say that I have changed as a person with wanting to be more natural -- greener, crunchier if that`s what you want to call it.

So for baby #2 I want a home birth - and I want it BAD!

Chris and I have already agreed that this will be our last child. We decided awhile back that two was perfect for us (but things could change) so since this is going to be my last pregnancy, birth etc, I want to be at home, where I am comfortable and I want to do things my way.

Chris has plans of his own I guess. He is not down for this at all. Every time I even breech the subject I get "No! What if something were to happen? I would never forgive you" Harsh hey?

But I take it with a grain of salt knowing he hasn't done any research on the subject, nor has he asked what I want. Well, he does know what I want - but he let's it go in one ear and out the other... I've explained that it's my birth! While this is our child, I am the one birthing this life and I want to do it the way I want to. But it's been so damn difficult. He just doesn't understand.

While in the hospital with James I felt so out of place. We stayed 3 days..yes 3 DAYS (I have a natural vaginal birth with NO complications!) because I couldn't nurse him right. I was frustrated and I just wanted to be home. This time around I want to be in my own surroundings, free to do as I please and how I please.

I am adamant to birth this baby at home but I need my husbands support as well.

I am hoping to do updates on this subject as my pregnancy progresses. Wish me luck ladies!

Much love
xoxo
 Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. kick him (yes, I said HIM) out a bit early so I'll still be here before I go to Indonesia!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you think...even if you don't like it!